Friday, July 24, 2020

The Boy

Looking back a few years
Bittersweet goodness to come home to everyday
Me and my boy were thick as Policeman
We were stuck with each other and that was good

The boy and I did move about
Shenandoah, Acadia,Simon Way and Empire Streets
Thanks to my ex and his mom
The gift of fatherhood all alone

I was angry and had to fight on through it
I raised my boy to be like me
I wanted more than I could be
I pushed him hard and had expectations

He grew up too fast and lost his youth
He writes about it and shared his angst
We talk about it and he says it's ok
I disagree and feel so much blame

Mistakes were made and I truly regret
But they were my mistakes that I could mend
We made our favorite dinners and watched our shows
Our time together that I won't ever forget

My boy is a man now at 34
Soon to be a dad and passing the torch
I hope my good qualities he improves upon
Make his own mark and sing his own song

No comments:

Post a Comment