Saturday, July 11, 2020

My Hood

Kids raising kids
Hatred and dismay
Uneducated and entitled
Opinions and govt. help won't get you far

Following unstable footsteps
Side to side , In and out
Mentally and physically incarcerated
Who is to blame?

Taking sides and fingers to point
The kid's are still being born
And who is their father
We can pay them now , or maybe later

Passing judgement is never good
Driving nice cars and painted hoods
Fireworks all year long
The popping , the sparkle of a loaded gun

Generations before paved this road
Educating ourselves is somehow a goal
8th grade graduations make us feel whole
Keep shooting for the stars

Language spoken is the what we learned
Proper English with Pronouns and Verbs.
I can't speak for those who can't
But I strive to speak with eloquence

Coconut and white-washed I'm labeled
I call it educated and self enabled
To rise above my own bottom line
Expectations and standards set really high

Glancing out from this childhood dwelling
The neighborhood is different and quite compelling
The working class and their back breaking souls
Who pick our fruits and vegetables at quite a toll







No comments:

Post a Comment